The first meetings of Liberty Hill were held in homes and brush arbors. Later, a small one-room log house was built about one mile northwest of present Mt. Carmel Baptist Church. Records state that on August 9, 1858, the members met and drew up the Articles of Constitution. Abstract of Principles were drawn up and on December 8, 1860, Rules of Decorum were adopted. An article found in the Union Banner Newspaper stated that meetings were held in homes and brush arbors before 1850. Therefore, Liberty Hill began meeting earlier than records in Montgomery indicate.
In 1875, another log church was built on the property of Bill Varden between Highway 22 West and the old Maplesville Highway, about six miles west of Clanton. There is still a cemetery at that location. On August 20, 1896, the relocation committee chose our present location.
Meetings were held for the first time in the new one-room building in October of 1897. Sunday school rooms were added to the one-room church and services were held in that building until March 15, 1953. In 1898, a 1½ acre plot of land was donated by Mr. Edgar and Mrs. Olive Foshee Littlejohn to be used as a cemetery. The first burial marker bears the date of February 1, 1900.
A brick building was built and the first service was held on March 22, 1953. In 1981, plans for a new sanctuary were voted on and approved. The present sanctuary was built and the first service was held on Easter Sunday, April 11, 1982. A Family Life Center was built in 1998, complete with a new fellowship hall, kitchen, gym and classrooms. In 2003, the former fellowship hall area was torn down and now the office suites, a small kitchen and more classrooms occupy that space.
Rev. Kent Dodson became the pastor of Liberty Hill on April 16, 2006. His true desire is to encourage the church to “Exalt the Savior, Encourage the Body, and Equip the Believer to build God’s Kingdom”. Rev. Don Smith came in 1991 as the Youth/Music Minister and Outreach Leader. Bill Short presently serves as Student Minister. Former pastors include: Reverends, R.M. Honeycut, L.B. Pounds, W.M. Wood, Hardy Jones, Joseph Selman, W.A. Wood, W.S. Cox, Webb Parrish, S.M. Adams, Sutton Smitherman, W.W. Carlton, A.L. Foshee, Jim Thomas, Elijah Deason, W.P. Lowery, B.C. Hughes, J.D. Hughes, J.S. Holland, G.H. Carroll, Fred Lowery, L.D. Brookshire, R.L. Sharp, Harvey Matthews, Jerome Robinson, Jesse Wood, George Lawhorn, Roland Davis.
Liberty Hill participates in many mission trips each year. We have a long standing relationship with the Marine Recruit Base at Parris Island South Carolina. For 10 years we have taught Vacation Bible School for the military children on base. We also have many volunteers who assist the Chilton Baptist Builders in building churches around the country.
On September 28, 2008, we celebrated our 150th Homecoming with a weekend of special activities. Over 330 attended worship service.
Liberty Hill Baptist Church will continue to seek God in all we do for His church.
Revised and updated March 2012, Tina Deason, Ministry Assistant